Changing Priorities

This round of ROW80 has been a bit of a windy road for me. On the one hand, fantastic news and a writing contract in hand. On the other, the realisation that there are actually only 24 hours in the day, and I can’t do everything I want to, no matter how hard I try.

There’s quite a lot on at the moment. Apart from the contract for Room for Love, I had another request for a revise and resubmit on Sea Fever, and a request for a shorter piece under another name. The new job is getting frantic, and my daughter wants to make Play Dough. The weather’s turned cold here, and I need to find our winter clothes (seriously, how many places in a house are there to hide winter boots? Where the hell did I put them?). And I have lots of stories competing for time in my head, and my writing schedule.

So once again, my goals are shifting to accommodate what matters most, right now. Tea & Devilry‘s languishing on the back burner, while I work on edits for the contracted book, and consider what to do with the R&R. My to do list keeps growing, my schedule keeps shifting, and it’s all really good news because it means more people will get to read my stories.

And as soon as I figure out how to convince the US IRS to give me an ITIN number, all will be well with the world.

12 thoughts on “Changing Priorities

1. Ruth Nestvold says:

Excellent news about the contract, Sophie! Keep up the good work and have a great rest of the week. πŸ™‚

• Sophie Pembroke says:

Found the boots! Buried under a lot of coats, in a suitcase, under the spare bed, behind a stack of board games. Obviously.

Very good things happening! IRS are still thwarting me, though…

2. Wendy Smith says:

Congrats on the contract and the request. That is exciting news. As long as those other stories are still turning somewhere in your head, they will be fine. They might even grow into even more beautiful stories in the meantime. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. And I am envious of your cooler weather. I’m so ready for Fall! I think my muse does better when I’m wearing sweaters and boots πŸ™‚

3. Anne-Mhairi Simpson says:

Congratulations on the contract. Sounds like you’re doing well, even if you feel like you can’t keep up. You’re fine, just don’t forget to take half an hour for yourself every day. I know you’ll probably laugh when you read this, but it really is important πŸ™‚ Good luck!

• Sophie Pembroke says:

Thank you! And I know you’re right – we all need time to ourselves. It’s just getting over the guilt of all the other things I should be doing long enough to take it…

4. jamilajamison says:

I’ve also had to face some shifting goals, and the realization that I will have to prioritize a few things if I want to still get a few hours of sleep each night. Good luck finding those books! πŸ˜€

Comments are closed.